File photo by Jeff Vorva
Mayor Sandra Bury was in court Tuesday hoping that Daniel M. Vorberg, who was arrested a second time for public indecency near a school, would stay in jail.
An Oak Lawn man who was arrested and charged with public indecency for a second time brought out some heavy hitters to his hearing Tuesday.
Daniel M. Vorberg, 32, was on parole for a previous public indecency conviction when Oak Lawn police arrested him for the same offense last Thursday and Oak Lawn Mayor Sandra Bury joined concerned residents and Chicago Ald. Matt O’Shea (19th) at Vorberg’s Tuesday appearance in Bridgeview Courthouse with the hope that he stays in jail.
“You have an alleged repeat offender that is directly affecting the safety of Oak Lawn children, and children everywhere,” said Bury, explaining why she wanted to attend the hearing. O’Shea was there because the incident that led to Vorberg’s conviction occurred in his ward, on April 30, 2013, outside an elementary school in Chicago’s Mount Greenwood neighborhood.
In that case, he was sentenced to three years in prison after being caught masturbating near the school. He fled when a parent saw him, but his license plate was traced to his home in Oak Lawn. After being convicted in May, 2014, he was paroled last October.
His next hearing is July 16, and Bury said it appeared likely that he would be held in Cook County Jail until then, unable to make bail.
But she said that at the hearing, the judge put restrictions on his bond, so if he does get out, he will be required to wear a GPS ankle monitor.
“He was warned to stay away from children, and not set foot near a school. Justice needs to be served. I don’t want to see him getting out on parole so quickly again,” said Bury, noting that Vorberg has a “pretty long history, and none of it is good.”
Oak Lawn Police Department Division Chief Randy Palmer said in a press release that a detective knew Vorberg, who lives in the 5000 block of West 101st Street in Oak Lawn, had been convicted of public indecency when he saw him parking his car about 2:30 p.m. near 95th Street and 53rd Court, close to a children’s center last Thursday. Children and adults were gathered in the playground area, behind the center.
A surveillance team was then set up and a short time later, and Vorberg was arrested after he was seen performing a “lewd act” while watching the playground area, police said. Observers said he appeared to be masturbating, but he reportedly said he was applying medicated lotion to a work injury.
The Cook County State’s Attorney’s office approved the charges of one felony count of public indecency within 500 feet of a school while children are present, and one felony count of parole violation. He was ordered held on $150,000 bond.
Although the 2013 case was his first conviction, he has been charged with similar crimes before. According to published reports, he was charged with three felony counts of attempted child abduction, two counts of disorderly conduct, and one of public indecency in 2009. He was later acquitted of the charges, which involved allegedly offering three 11-year-old Oak Lawn girls a ride to school, an interaction with 12-year-old girls, and exposing himself to a 19-year-old woman.
Bury said she was pleased to see O’Shea and the residents at the hearing, and said she intends to be at the July 16 hearing as well, if her schedule permits.
“As long as I am able to, that is my goal. It has got to stop,” said the mayor, who praised the Oak Lawn police for the work that led to the arrest.”
“It was great police work, and they are a source of great pride. They are highly professional and at the top of their game,” she said.