Trial delayed for Oak Lawn woman accused of killing grandchild

  • Written by Dermot Connolly

alfreda giedrojc photo 12-14


Oak Lawn murder suspect Alfreda Giedrojc, 66, made a brief appearance in court last Thursday, but only to be told that the start of her bench trial was postponed for a second time, until Jan.18.

Giedrojc, who speaks Polish, has been in Cook County Jail since Oct. 6, 2013, when she allegedly killed her 6-month-old granddaughter, Vivian Summers. She is charged with first-degree murder. The baby, her daughter’s child, was left in her care at her home in the 6600 block of West 91st Street.

Her attorney, assistant public defender David Dunne, told Judge Colleen Hyland last Thursday that forensic psychiatrist Mathew Markos requested more time to complete a requested report on Giedrojc’s mental health. Markos is the director of Forensic Clinical Services for Cook County Circuit Court. Assistant State’s Attorney Michael Deno agreed to the Jan. 18 date. The original start date of the trial had been set for Oct. 24.

According to published reports following the incident, Giedrojc’s son-in-law, Joel Summers, of Bolingbrook, had dropped Vivian off that morning at her grandparents’ home before going across the street with his father-in-law to help a neighbor with a rehab project.

At previous hearings, prosecutors outlined the case, alleging that Giedrojc hit the infant in the head with a sledgehammer after the two men left the house. They said she moved the baby from a couch to the floor. She then allegedly retrieved a sledgehammer that she had placed in her closet the night before, and hit the victim repeatedly in the head and body with it.   She then went into the kitchen to get the knife used to slit her throat.

When the infant wouldn’t stop moving, prosecutors said Giedrojc cut her throat with a kitchen knife. Police were called to the home by another family member who came upon the gruesome scene.

During her court appearance last Thursday, Giedrojc wore a blue jail uniform and her long, brown hair was in a ponytail. The defendant didn’t make any public comments, but just looked between her attorney and the Polish translator who informed her of what was happening. No family members appeared to be present at the hearing.

The court case has been going on so long that Giedrojc’s original public defender retired. Giedrojc reportedly admitted to the murder in a taped confession to Oak Lawn police, and has undergone psychological evaluations while awaiting trial. In 2014, she was found to be unfit to stand trial. But a Cook County judge ruled in 2015 that she was fit to face first-degree murder charges after she had received treatment for a major depressive disorder.

Dunne acknowledged after the hearing that the court case has been going on a long time but wouldn’t comment on why Markos needed the additional time to prepare the report.

“I don’t have any control of these reports. We just get them when we get them,” said Dunne.