Man charged in 7-Eleven store robberies

  • Written by Dermot Connolly


Oak Lawn police seeking a man wanted in the Jan. 18 robbery of a 7-Eleven store at 10441 S. Cicero Ave., apprehended him the following day in the J.C. Miami Motel, 9041 S. Cicero Ave.

Kenneth M. Kroenert, 56, whose last known address was in the 3400 block of West 23rd Place, Alsip, was also charged in connection with two similar 7-Eleven robberies that occurred in Evergreen Park and Oak Forest on Jan. 19.

He remained in Cook County Jail this week on $450,000 bond, facing three charges of felony aggravated robbery, in addition to a parole violation.

In bond court last Thursday, bond was set at $150,000 for each of the three robberies.

His next court date is set for Monday, Feb. 1.

Division Chief Randy Palmer said in a statement that at approximately 7:16 p.m. Jan. 18, Oak Lawn police responded to a report of an aggravated robbery at the 7-Eleven on Cicero.

The clerk said a man in his 50s or 60s, wearing dark clothing, walked around inside the store before going to the counter and demanding cash from the register. The suspect implied he had a gun in his jacket, and after the clerk complied and handed over the money, he fled on foot.

At 2:55 p.m. on Jan 19, someone fitting the same description robbed a 7-Eleven store at 9860 S. Kedzie Ave., in Evergreen Park, and another one the same day at 4901 W. 167th St., Oak Forest.

Working with the description of the offender, Oak Lawn police said they came up with Kroenert’s name as a suspect, and witnesses picked out Kroenert from a photo array. According to the Illinois Department of Corrections, he had been paroled in October 2015 from Centralia Correctional Center, where he had been serving three 15-year concurrent sentences for aggravated robbery.

According to the Oak Lawn police statement, “an alert officer” while checking local motels observed Kroenert’s car parked in the Miami Motel lot on Jan. 19, and learned he was staying there. Officers and detectives then went to Kroenert’s room, where he was taken into custody without incident about 9:35 p.m.