Family says cops still not ‘aggressive enough’ regarding Brittany’s death

  • Written by Bob Rakow

Worth police have interviewed the two people who discovered the body of Brittany Wawrzyniak, but family members of the 18-year-old girl remain skeptical of the department’s interest in the case.
“I almost don’t know how to react,” said Earl Lane, Wawrzyniak’s step-grandfather. “I still don’t think they’re being aggressive enough.”
The family has planned a March 29 rally in Oak Lawn to bring attention to the circumstances surrounding Wawryzniak’s death and to prompt Worth police to ramp up their investigation. The rally is scheduled for noon at the Oak View Center, 4625 W. 110th St., and will include a presentation including all of the information the family has gathered so far.
Family and friends also plan to attend the April 1 Worth Village Board meeting to demand that police and community leaders focus on the case.
The police interviews were held March 5, four months after Wawrzyniak died near the Worth boat launch. Prosecutors said she was ejected from the backseat of an alleged drug dealer’s car after buying pills from him—an explanation that her family does not accept.
Worth police questioned Adam Wilczek and his girlfriend, Agnes Smyk, several days after the couple met with Wawrzyniak mother, Rebecca Tully, at an emotional meeting also attended by several other family members. The two-hour gathering was held at Lane’s Hickory Hills home.
Family members believe a story published in The Reporter about that meeting led police to interview Wilczek and Smyk. The Burbank couple shared with police the same information they provided family members at the Feb. 22 meeting, they said.
Police met with Smyk for about 30 minutes followed by a one-hour session with Wilczek.
“I told them the same thing I told you guys,” Wilczek said. “I told them I was a little disturbed that we were doing this four months after the fact. They didn’t want to answer my questions. Someone has got to push the investigation in the right direction.”
Wilczek said he asked police if they had interviewed residents who live on 115th Street across the street from Water’s Edge Golf Course, which abuts the boat launch. He also asked if they have reviewed footage from the camera at the nearby Worth Metra Station.
He added that police took a considerable amount of notes during his interview, but Smyk said the opposite was true during her interview.
Smyk, who said she was nervous during the meeting, was asked to describe the teenage boy who approached her car when she and Wilczek arrived the boat launch to walk their dogs. She also was asked to estimate how long Wawrzyniak was lying in the parking lot before the couple arrived.
Smyk and Wilczek told Tully that they spotted a group of teenage girls in the parking lot that appeared to be looking for something on the ground. A teenage boy approached their car and “starts feeding me a story,” Wilczek said.
Only one of the seven girls in the parking lot was kneeling next to Wawrzyniak. The other girls on the scene did not appear shaken by the tragedy, Smyk said.
“I was holding her hand,” Wilczek told Tully. He said he knelt at Wawrzyniak’s side for about three minutes until police and paramedics arrived.
Police would not reveal if they were interviewing others or offer any details about the status of the case, Smyk said.
Smyk informed Tully that she was she and Wilczek were interviewed by police.
The Feb. 22 meeting with Tully occurred after Smyk posted on Facebook that she and Wilczek discovered Wawrzyniak’s body when they arrived the Worth boat launch to walk their dogs.
The couple spotted a group of teenage girls in the parking lot that appeared to be looking for something on the ground, Wilczek said.
They said she met Eric Steven Johnson at the boat launch near 115th Street and Beloit Avenue, got into the back seat of his car and handed him $200 in exchange for 30 pills of Clonazepam.
The prescription drug is used to treat panic and seizure disorders, according to medical experts.
Wawrzyniak’s family believes she faked a drug buy at the boat launch to arrange a fight between a friend and another girl.
The Worth police have confirmed that there were no drugs in Wawrzyniak’s system the night that she was died, the family said. But Tully remains critical of the way the police have handled the case.
Wawrzyniak began counting the pills while still in the backseat as Johnson drove away. She opened the door of the moving car, was ejected and struck the pavement, prosecutors said. She was pronounced dead at Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn less than one hour later.