Telling their side of the story

  • Written by Bob Rakow

The family of Brittany Wawrzyniak plans to hold a March 29 rally to bring awareness to what they perceive as a lack of attention given to the 18-year-old Worth girl’s death investigation.


Wawrzyniak was found dead Nov. 8 near the Worth boat launch, and family members have been highly critical of Worth police for failing to aggressively investigate the cause.


“It’s so unfortunate the way police are treating this,” said Rebecca Tully, Wawrzyniak’s mother.


The rally is scheduled for noon at the Oak View Center, 4625 W. 110th St., Oak Lawn.


Tully said she plans to give a PowerPoint presentation that will include all of the information the family has gathered so far related to her daughter’s death.


Tully said she’ll “try to be professional” during the presentation, which she expects to be emotional.


“This could happen to anybody,” she said. “Four months is enough.”


Tully said family members and friends will begin to promote the rally next week by passing out flyers throughout the community.


The rally is scheduled three days before the Worth Board of Trustees April 1 meeting, which Wawrzyniak’s supporters plan to attend to demand that community leaders and police focus on the case.


Tully predicted that the crowd at the board meeting will be big enough to warrant a larger venue.


Prosecutors said Wawrzyniak was ejected from the backseat of an alleged drug dealer’s car after buying pills from him—an explanation that her family does not accept.


They believe Wawrzyniak set up a bogus drug buy to arrange a fight between a friend and another girl.


Worth police questioned Adam Wilczek and his girlfriend, Agnes Smyk, several days after the couple met with Tully at an emotional meeting also attended by several other family members.


Family members believe a story published in The Reporter about that meeting led police to interview Wilczek and Smyk. The Burbank couple said they shared with police the same information they provided family members at the Feb. 22 meeting.


“To me it seems like it was a front,” Tully said.