Worth man charged with role in robberies

  • Written by Bob Rakow

A Worth man was charged Monday in connection with a spree of armed robberies in the city beginning in early April.
  Danny Tallant, 40, Worth, was charged with aggravated robbery for his involvement in the armed robberies, which also included one at a Worth beauty supply store.
  Police have investigated Tallant’s role in the robberies since arresting Nicholas Koliopoulos April 17 at the Palos Pantry, 8100 W. 111th St., after Deputy Police Chief Jeff Cucio spotted him near the store, police said.

  Cucio notified surveillance units, and police spoke with Koliopoulos. During the conversation, he tore up a note that he had concealed, according to reports.
  Police reconstructed the note and determined that it was similar to ones he had used in previous robberies. The note stated that Koliopoulos had a weapon, wanted money and no one would get hurt.
  Koliopoulos later admitted to three armed robberies in Palos Hills and one in Worth, according to the report.
  Palos Hills detectives were able to piece together cell phone conversations between Tallant and Koliopoulos in order to come up with evidence needed to charge Tallant, they said.

  Tallant admitted to police that he drove Koliopoulos to the Marathon Gas Station, 11056 S. Southwest Highway, in order to commit an armed robbery and to Sally Beauty Suppy in Worth to commit another armed robbery on a different day, police said.
  Tallant said he and Koliopoulos robbed the businesses to support their heroin addiction.
  Police said Koliopoulos on April 4 robbed the Palos Panty at 8 p.m. He walked into the store and demanded, “whatever money was in the register, give it to me.” He fired a weapon while he was followed out of the store by an employee. No one was injured, police said.

  On April 8, at 8:35 p.m., Koliopoulos entered the Marathon Gas Station and announced an armed robbery. He lifted his shirt and showed a weapon to the employee behind the counter, according to reports.

  He was given an undisclosed amount of money, left the station and fled west on 111th Street, police said.
  On April 13, he returned to the gas station, announced a robbery, received an undisclosed amount of money and again fled west on 111th Street, according to reports.
  Koliopoulos was on parole from the state of Florida where he was released from prison in 2012 after serving time for robbery, police said.